Food: Easy Peasy BlackberryJelly
I’ve never made jam or, in this case, jelly before. I love eating it, with lots of butter on thick, just-grilled, toast. Making jam always looks so complicated, though, with its thermometers, sterilisation equipment and muslin. And terribly grown-up somehow. But this recipe is so easy I just had to give it a whirl. And it’s so worth it. Just for the tart-sweet scent that filled the house whilst it cooked. Because it requires almost no phaffing. And because it tastes gorgeous.
Easy Peasy Blackberry Jelly
Makes 2 small jars.
You will need: 500g blackberries and 500g jam sugar [the ‘with added pectin’ kind]
1.Put the sugar and fruit in an oven dish and mix gently.
2. Cover the dish with foil and put in an oven set to 200C/Gas 6. Cook for 40mins.
3. Give the mixture a good stir, dredging up the sugar from the bottom of the dish.
4. Place in the oven for another 20mins, stirring again after ten.
5. Press the mixture through a seive with the back of a spoon into a bowl or jug.
6. Pour the liquid into two sterilized jam jars and let cool before adding the lids.
image by Kristine Noel